Packed Chambers:Budget Passes, but with Some Rare Controversy, Drama

Packed Chambers:Budget Passes, but with Some Rare Controversy, Drama

The City Budget vote at the Council is usually a night of empty seats and methodical tabulation.

Not so this past Monday night when teachers, students and School Department employees packed the Chambers and councillors debated over several controversial cuts to the document.

One councillor, Bob Bishop, even cast a lone vote against the City Budget.

In the end, the Council did approve the budget 10-1.

The total spending came in at $195,964,074, with the breakdown as follows:

  • General Fund Budget, $174,074,177.
  • Water Enterprise Fund, $8,397,199.
  • Sewer Enterprise Fund, 12,808,779.
  • General Fund Free Cash, $683,919.

The total sum represents an increase of 6.6 percent over last year’s budget.

City Manager Tom Ambrosino said it was a document that represented a philosophy in government and he was proud of it.

“A budget is not just a compilation of numbers and spreadsheets,” he said. “A budget is always a document expressing a philosophy of government. This budget delivers services and programs and invests in our people, our community.”

The real drama came for the School Department, which needed a large influx of City cash into its coffers to avoid massive cuts to it program after being shorted several years by the state’s funding formula.

The City is required to give a set amount of money to the School Department each year, but in the budget crunch of the last few years, the City has kicked in extra funding. On Monday, numerous representatives from the schools were there to speak in support of what amounts to about $4 million (or 5.7 percent) above the required spending amount.

“The state is letting Chelsea down,” said Sam Baker, vice president of the Chelsea Teacher’s Union. “They can’t be relied upon to support urban Gateway districts like Chelsea…When the federal government lets you down, the state government lets you down, there is only one place left to turn – to the neighbors and the local officials of the city. This budget shows that the students and schools in Chelsea can rely on their local neighbors.”

Several others spoke as well, particularly for keeping special education position intact – positions that have been cut heavily in the past few years. School Committee Chair Jeannette Velez urged the Council to approve the additional spending in the budget.

After the vote, the room erupted in applause for the sake of the schools.

But it wasn’t that easy.

While the Council was uniformly in favor of the school measures, there were several things they were flat out against. Major amendments were proposed and hashed out on close votes over the course of an hour.

Almost all of them were proposed by Council President Damali Vidot.

First was a cut of $15,000 to the Law Department – which was a dart in the back of many on the Council. The cut represented funding put in the budget for the Council to have its own attorney on retainer to give them a second opinion when they aren’t satisfied with the City’s staff lawyers.

Only Councillor Giovanni Recupero and Damali Vidot voted for it, with it losing 9-2.

One cut that did survive was a $100,000 cut to the Fire Department as a shot across the bow for their use, and some on the Council would say abuse, of overtime in the last few years.

Vidot said the Department has seen numerous new hires in the last year and has proposed to increase its overtime budget. She said that number should be going down, not up.

The cut was approved 6-4, with Vidot, Recupero, Bishop, Luis Tejada, Enio Lopez and Rodriguez voting yes.

Vidot also proposed to cut the Police Department salaries by $150,000 to curtail the use of overtime pay being given to officers who do walking beats around the downtown. She said that should come out of regular pay at the regular rate, not as overtime pay.

That measure lost narrowly, on a 5-6 vote. Those voting against that were Calvin Brown, Tejada, Avellaneda, Robinson, Perlatonda, and Garcia.

A major discussion took place after that to cut the new Downtown Coordinator position, which comes at $72,000. Vidot said it was a failed program and should be staffed by a Chelsea person who can bring all different Chelsea residents to the downtown to connect in one place. She said she doesn’t see that happening.

However, the majority felt that good things were happening and the coordinator needed more time.

A key supporter was downtown district Councillor Judith Garcia.

That cut failed 3-8, with only Vidot, Lopez and Bishop voting for it.

The final controversial cut proposal was to eliminate monies being spent to keep retiring EMS Director Allan Alpert on board for a year. Alpert plans to retire on June 30, but will be kept on as a consultant to bring the new director up to speed. The cost for that is $55,000.

Vidot said it was unnecessary, and she said it’s time to stop keeping retiring City Hall people on the payroll as consultants.

However, other councillors such as Avellaneda, said there was a succession plan in place for Alpert that didn’t pan out. Now, to make sure a new plan could be put in place, Alpert needed to be allowed to stay on another year.

After much controversial discussion, the cut was defeated narrowly 5-6. Those voting to keep Alpert on were Rodriguez, Tejada, Avellaneda, Robinson, Perlatonda, and Garcia.

For the overall budget, all councillors except Bishop voted for it.

Bishop, who has emerged as a staunch fiscal conservative on the Council, said the spending was not sustainable.

“I cannot vote for this budget,” he said. “I can’t be for this budget because it is not sustainable. We’ll hit the wall one day and that $25 million in the Rainy Day Fund will go out one ear because out budget is almost all salaries.”

The City Budget goes into effect on July 1.

Read More

ZBA Approves Special Permit for Everett Ave

The Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA) approved a special permit for a planned development of 692 apartment units in two high-rise buildings on Everett Avenue across from the high school during its meeting on Tuesday night, Oct. 13.

The project has been kicking around City Hall at the Planning Board and ZBA for many months, with the Planning Board just recently issuing a positive recommendation for a Special Permit without any conditions at a meeting early this month.

The project was approved at the ZBA on Tuesday with several conditions, though they weren’t immediately available.

Council President Leo Robinson has been a vocal critic of the project since its inception, concerned about the demolition of the old Chelsea Clock building and a number of other things.

In a letter to the ZBA on Tuesday, Robinson issued his opposition.

“I know the Planning Board moved this project onto the Zoning Board with no conditions,” he wrote. “I disagree with that conclusion by the Planning Board. I understand that something will be built, but I think we can get a better design. The proposed number o units is 692, which would be located in two buildings across from Chelsea High School, along with 2,500 sq. ft. of retail space and a 726-vehicle parking garage. It may improve the area, but it raises other concerns.”

Robinson listed eight concerns, including parking, an updated traffic study, lack of affordability, flooding issues on Vale Street, no job creation, no public spaces and no clear benefits spelled out of the City.

The Board did approve the Special Permit after deliberation, but the project still has a major hurdle to clear with Site Plan Review at the Planning Board. While the Board did give a special permit recommendation, it declined to issue the Site Plan approval – a much more involved process – until more information had been gathered.

In a Special Meeting last month of the Planning Board to address the project, many members voiced extreme frustration with the amounts of late information that had been submitted with little time for review.

The Planning Board will hear the Site Plan Review at its Oct. 27 meeting.

In other ZBA news:

  • A controversial project by Genevra Faber at 73 Winnisimmet St. for an eight-unit residential building was continued until Nov. 10.
  • A special permit was granted to Shadi Alallam for a furniture showroom with accessory storage requiring parking at 157 Clark Ave.
  • The ZBA granted a special permit to allow Omar Mohammed to construct a driveway that does not meet zoning regulations at 15 County Rd.
  • Rod Rivera was approved for a special permit and variance at 75 Congress Ave.
  • The ZBA granted a special permit to Moises Amaya to change an appliance repair store at 12 Essex St. to a convenience store and laundromat.
  • The DeNunzio Group received another three-year permit to store up to 646 rental vehicles at 245-257 Marginal St. as part of the Enterprise and Avis Car Rental operations. The previous three-year permit was about to expire.
  • Carol Brown continued her special permit and variance request to construction a rear addition to 34 Beacon St. #1. The matter will be heard on Nov. 10.

Read More