|
FIRST METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
|
|
The first permanent Methodist Class in Chelsea was formed in the
spring of 1839, at the house of Mr. Henry Slade. This class was
organized into a distinct society or church in July of the same year. The
first church building, on Park Street was dedicated in September of
1841. A new church edifice was erected on Walnut Street and dedicated
in 1858. This was occupied for about 46 years and was a center of
remarkable religious activity.
|
|

|

|
|
Park Street Methodist Episcopal Church – 1841
|
Walnut Street Methodist Church – 1858
|
|
In 1904, the Walnut Street property was sold
and the present church on Cary Avenue was purchased. Other church
organizations have grown from this such as The Mount Bellingham
Church in 1853, a separate society in Everett in 1870 and a Free
Chapel in the old Park Street building. The Cary Ave. church was
later sold and became Temple Emmanual.
|
|

|

Mount Bellingham M.E. Church
Shurtleff and Bellingham Streets
|
|
Mt. Bellingham Methodist Church built in 1853
This church burned September 25, 1905
|
|
|

|
|
First Methodist Episcopal Church on Cary Ave.
|