Chelsea High School

CHELSEA HIGH SCHOOL

  It took five years of debate but finally, on June 1, 1845,
Chelsea opened it’s first public high school in Haskell’s Hall on
Broadway corner of Malden (Everett Avenue) Street. The first year was
one of tribulation, with unruly students and unjustly critical
parents. A debate, now arose on the question, to continue maintaining
the high school. It was voted to continue, but under competent
teachers and with a separation of the sexes.

In 1850, a two story brick building was erected on Second and
Walnut Streets.

The building contained eight rooms, four of which were used for
the high school, the other four rooms were used for primary school.
With the appointment of Frank A. Hill as Principal in 1870, the
methods of instruction were changed in the high school. The primary
schools ware moved and the entire building was occupied for high
school use. The population had continued its upward growth, and more
school room was needed. On June 25, 1870, a lot of land on Bellingham
Street, was deeded to the city by James Loring. Specifications and
bids went out and plans were drawn for a new high school building.

The First Chelsea High School Building – Second
St. and Walnut St. – 1850

 Late in 1872, a new four story brick high school (picture at
left) was completed on Bellingham Street and dedicated on January 2,
1873. The new building was described as an ornament to the city, with
all the latest innovations. The sexes were still separated. On the
first floor was a large study room for the girls while the boys study
room was on the second floor. The second and third floors contained
gender separated recitation rooms. For the first time in a Chelsea
school, the laboratory on the first floor contained everything
necessary to perform practical physic and chemistry experiments.

Chelsea High School Bellingham St. – 1872

 The laboratory was supplied with gas jets, water, and
electrical equipment. The laboratory also contained cameras, and a
spectroscope, which was a gift from Mayor E. C. Fitz. The third floor
held a combination hall and gymnasium, where the boys high school
battalion, which was voluntary, held their military drills twice a week.

  The Bellingham Street School was completely destroyed in
the great fire of 1908. In May 1923, Alderman Hugh J. McLaughlin
sponsored an order to have what became known as the “High School
Lot” on Bellingham Street, to be given over to the Park
Department supervision to be kept as a public playground. The
playground was dedicated to the memory of Albert D. Bosson, who
passed away on Easter Sunday, April 6, 1926. Albert Bosson was very
active in civic affairs. Judge of Chelsea Court, former Mayor, and
graduate of the Old Bellingham Street High School.

Chelsea High School Bellingham St. after 1908 Fire

  With the turn of the twentieth century, Chelsea was still
experiencing the same need. The need for more school room. A new high
school building was erected on Crescent Avenue between Tudor Street
and Clark Avenue and dedicated in 1904. All high school students ware
transferred to the new building on Crescent Avenue. The old high
school building became the Bellingham Street Grammar School.

The New Chelsea High School – Built 1904

The New Chelsea High School – 1908
photo

The New Chelsea High School – Built 1904

In 1926, a large addition was made to the High School by Mayor
Lawrence Quigley. The new addition extended from Clark Ave. to Tudor
Street. Three floors of new school rooms were added plus a gymnasium
and an auditorium.

Chelsea High School – Remodeled
1926

Ground was broken for a new High School at the fifteen acre site
of the Chelsea Memorial Stadium in 1994. The school was opened in
1996 with 45 classrooms and space for 1000 students. A huge athletic
field was included on the Everett Avenue side.

Chelsea High School – 1996

Return to the Main Page