Chelsea Naval Hospital

CHELSEA NAVAL HOSPITAL

The site, now called Admiral’s Hill, was first settled by Samuel
Maverick in 1624. On this hill, Maverick built the first house in the
Massachusetts Bay Colony. The first ferry in the colony, was
established on May 18, 1631, with the landing near the Maverick home.
The first County Road in the colony to and from Salem had its
terminus at the ferry. From this hill, people from the surrounding
countryside gathered to watch the Battle of Bunker Hill, June 17,
1775. Many of the wounded were taken across to the Chelsea side of
the river and on the slope of the hill had their wounds dressed.

In 1823, The Commissioners of Naval Hospital, purchased 115 acres
of Admiral’s hill from Aaron Dexter for $18,000. Due to a lack of
money in the Hospital Fund, at this time, Congress did not approve
the construction of the hospital until July 10, 1832. Work progressed
very slowly, again due to a lack of funds. Finally, on January 7,
1836, the hospital was completed and commissioned. Located on a round
hill 112 feet above sea level, the hospital was built on the Southern
slope of the hill, facing the water. Built of Vermont granite, the
hospital had a foundation measuring 149’x 71′ and a height of three
stories, with cellar and attic, and had a 100 bed capacity. A wing
was added to the original building in 1865.

A move was made by Congress in 1884, to sell the hospital and
grounds and erect another hospital on a harbor island. The move was
defeated by the of the Surgeon General, who stated: “the
hospital was built and maintained by the Naval Hospital Fund and was
not public property”. In 1856, thirty acres was transferred to
the Ordnance Department for magazine and gunnery houses. Ten acres
were sold to the treasury Department to erect a Marine Hospital.
During the Civil War and the Spanish American War temporary buildings
and tents were used as wards. Chelsea became the hospital for malaria
treatment, especially during the Spanish American War, due to its
favorable climate and excellent medical care. During the Chelsea Fire
of 1908, the hospital treated over 300 casualties of various degrees
and helped to feed over 12,000 made homeless by the fire.

Further up the hill, a new and larger hospital building was
constructed and commissioned April 24, 1915. Shortly following the
opening of the new hospital building, America entered World War I in
1917 and was struck by the deadly influenza epidemic. The influenza
hit the civilian population first. The influenza reached epidemic
proportions and spread to military installations. The medical staff
of seven doctors at the Naval Hospital was increased to 64, while the
Nurse Corps of 17 was increased to 70. The hospital became so
overloaded with admissions that many patients had to be diverted to
all the civilian hospitals in the greater Boston area. By the time
the epidemic was over the hospital had made a total of 2,582
admissions. By the time the scourge had run its course 5,000 Navy men
had died from the flu. In the Army, 20,000 soldiers died in United
States installations while 5,000 died overseas, from the disease. In
all, 550,000 people died in America from the influenza in 1918.

The burial grounds on the hospital hill became overcrowded with
the only space left were too near the water. On September 25, 1918,
orders were received to cease burials in the cemetery on the hospital
reservation. Arrangements were made and an area was purchased in
Woodlawn Cemetery. On June 8, 1920, the exhuming of all remains in
the hospital cemetery to be transferred to Woodlawn Cemetery. The
transfer of bodies began June 8, 1920 and was completed on August 5,
1920. During the process of exhuming, it was discovered that the
hospital cemetery had been relocated at an earlier date. Some of the
graves opened were minus bodies. Remains of sixteen bodies, without
markers, were placed in one box and buried in a single site in
Woodlawn Cemetery.

In 1940 the Marine Hospital was moved to a new location in
Brighton, Massachusetts. The Naval Hospital acquired the Marine
Hospital building in 1942 and converted it into a barracks for
Hospital Corpsmen.

In World War II, patient numbers were as high as in 1917 and 1918.
The most notable of patients was Ensign John F. Kennedy. Ensign
Kennedy was admitted for treatment of wounds received when his PT
boat was cut in half in Pacific combat. Ensign Kennedy entered Room
207 Chelsea Naval Hospital June 11, 1944 until December 26, 1944.

Wayne M. Caron Hospital Corpsman Third Class, U.S.Navy, born in
Middleboro, Massachusetts, served as a Corpsman at the Chelsea Naval
Hospital before going to VietNam was the first Hospital Corpsman to
be awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor from the state of
Massachusetts; “For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the
risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty.” Wayne Caron
was killed in action July 28, 1968. A park and plaque was dedicated
to his honor at the Chelsea Naval Hospital on November 29, 1970.

The Chelsea Naval Hospital was closed down in 1974.

  Copy printed in Chelsea Record December 10, 1999

Return to Main Page