The Grand Army Hall

GRAND ARMY HALL

 The Grand Army Building and Hall was located on Park Street
in Chelsea Square. It occupied the building that was originally, Park
Street Methodist Church. The Park Street Church was first formed
under Reverend E. W. Jackson in 1830. At this time the society
consisted of thirty persons. The society was holding it’s worship
meetings in Slade’s Hall in Chelsea Square. As the congregation
increased to seventy-six people, the hall became too small to
accommodate every one. In July of 1840, the congregation moved to
Winnisimmet Hall in the Park Street school house {site of the Police
station today}. The church received a donation of land from the
Winnisimmet Company in order to erect a house of worship. The
cornerstone was laid in November of 1840. Construction was completed
in 1841.

 In 1865, the American Civil War had finally come to a close.
Chelsea had every reason to feel proud of it’s men. Through four long
years of combat, these men, endured war’s terror and horror together,
developed an almost kindred comradeship of dependence on each other.
Now, with war’s end, this comradeship would be dissolved.

 One man, Dr. Benjamin Stephenson, of the 14th Illinois
Infantry, thought different. In April 1866, Dr. Stephenson, with a
group of other veterans in Springfield, Illinois, founded the Grand
Army of the Republic, an organization of Union veterans of the Civil
War. Dedicated to the principles of “fraternity, charity and
loyalty”, the organization grew to be the largest and most
influential in the country. A Chelsea group of veterans received a
charter on November 16, 1867, for Theodore Winthrop, Post #35. The
Post was named for Major Theodore Winthrop, the first Union officer
to die in battle. Major Winthrop came from Connecticut, was aid to
General Butler, leading troops at Bethel Church Virginia, June 10,
1861 when killed.

 Members of the Park Street Church, moved to the Walnut
Street Church {site of the present Middle School}and the building was
put up for sale. The Grand Army Post 35, purchased the building and
immediately began remodeling. The steeple was eliminated, as were the
columns in the front. The recessed front was built out flush and the
first floor was made into stores. A large hall was made upstairs and
was run by the G.A.R. Hall Associates Incorporated. The building was
dedicated on Bunker Hill Day June 17, 1884.

 During the fire of 1908, the building was spared. The
Poolroom on the first floor was used for the Post Office. In later
years Dalis Diner, the ‘Dog Cart’ in Chelsea Square, used one of the
stores for a kitchen. The building was always managed by the members
but time took it’s toll on the members. In 1934, the City of Chelsea
assumed ownership. During the 1930’s, the building was used as a base
for the W.P.A. During it’s time, many important events and political
rallies, were held in the Grand Army Hall.

Return to Main Page