In 1860, The City of Chelsea was compelled to take, for
nonpayment of taxes, a large lot of land situated at Fifth, Fourth,
Walnut and Cedar {Arlington} Streets. Flat and level, the newly
acquired area contained 122,200 square feet of land, almost three
acres. The land was geographically located at the center of the city.
Mayor Frank B. Fay, in his inaugural address in 1861, stated:
“what seemed an unpleasant necessity at the time, may prove to
be one of our greatest blessings in giving us a site for a public
park.” The closing of Ash Street at the Fifth street
intersection was further proposed by Mayor Fay. Ash Street was a
partially accepted street on city maps, running from Williams Street,
through the new property, to the railroad at Sixth Street. The City
Council accepted Mayor Fay’s proposals the following year, setting
aside the land for ‘use and purpose of a public park.’ Due to our
participation in the Civil War at this time, it was appropriately
named “Union Park.”
For the next five years Chelsea devoted it’s attention to the war
effort and the returning veterans. Through this period work on the
park proceeded at a very slow pace. Finally, through the efforts of
Frank B. Fay, the park was completed. The services of sculptor Frank
Simmons was enlisted by the city, at a cost of $13,000, to construct
a Civil War monument in the center of the park. On April 19, 1869,
the eighth anniversary, of the first company of Chelsea Volunteers
receiving marching orders, the Civil War monument and Union Park was
dedicated. The dedicatory address was given by the Honorable Frank B.
Fay, war-time Mayor, 1861 through 1863 and Chief of the Auxiliary
Relief Corps of the United States Sanitary Commission in the Civil
War. On speaking of the monument, Frank B. Fay remarked: “it is
well that the face of the statue turns towards the South, typical of
no hatred, yet of no fear; but with an attitude of preparation.”
Frank B. Fay in his dedication speech paid high tribute to the
sacrifice made in many ways, by the women of Chelsea throughout the
war and especially to those who lost a loved one. Special remarks of
tribute were paid to Helen Gilson -Osgood, a nurse who served with
Frank Fay throughout all campaigns and during the occupation of
Richmond. Helen Gilson had died in childbirth just the previous year.
Many persons looking for safety in the fire of 1908, fled with
their belongings to the open spaces of Union Park. Most of these
people remained in the park, protecting their belongings, coughing
and choking with the heavy smoke. In 1911, under the Board of
Control, the Civil War monument was moved from Union Park to Bassett
Square opposite the new City Hall. In moving, it was told, that a
copper box, time capsule was found in the base of the monument,
containing a few papers. The box, with the addition of a few more
papers was replaced and the base was sealed
Following World War II, the country was experiencing a severe
housing shortage, Chelsea was no exception. Temporary Veterans
Housing units were constructed on the Sixth and Walnut Street sides
of Union Park. When the Veterans units were closed, the Federal
Government acquired them. All the units were remodeled and developed
into homes for Senior Citizens.
In 1953, the expressway extension for the Mystic River Bridge, was
constructed taking a route that traversed Union Park with support
stanchions. Today the Park is black topped and used for private parking.