Chelsea’s Newspapers

CHELSEA’S NEWSPAPERS

WINNISIMMET CHRONICLE

  The first edition of the “Winnisimmet Chronical” was
published on November 17, 1838. It was published by Abel Bowen and
was a 6 x 9 inch journal that sold for 6 cents per copy. The second
edition, which contained the first directory, did not appear until
Decmber 26, 1840.
  Seven years later the name was changed to the “Winnisimmet
Chronical and Chelsea Advertiser.” A decade later it was taken
over by Hollis and Haskell and became the “Chelsea Herald.”

Chelsea’s Newspaper Timeline

DATE

NAME

Nov. 17, 1838

Winnisimmet Chronical

1843

Chelsea Record and Temperance Advocate

1845

Chelsea Pioneer

1847

Winnisimmet Chronical & Chelsea Advertiser

1848

Village Guide

1857

The Chelsea Telegraph

1857

Chelsea Herald.

April 3, 1886

The Chelsea Gazete

1869

Mystic Press

April, 1872

Chelsea Public

1874

Little Giant

Early 1880’s

Leader

Sept. 5, 1888

The Catholic Citizen

1890’s

Free Lance

Dec. 17, 1890

The Chelsea Record

Closed 1941

The Chelsea Leader

1954

The Chelsea Transcript

CHELSEA RECORD & TEMPERANCE ADVOCATE

  The “Chelsea Record and Temperance Advocate”
published its first edition in 1843. This newspaper operated only a
few months and then ceased operation.

VILLAGE GUIDE

  The “Village Guide” was started by Abel Bowen as his
second attempt at newspaper publishing, Its first edition was in 1848
and failed in a very short time.

THE CHELSEA TELEGRAPH

  The “Chelsea Telegraph” began publication in 1856
and lasted for only one year when it was merged with the “Chelsea
Pioneer.”

THE CHELSEA PIONEER

  In 1845, the “Chelsea Pioneer,” eventually one of
the city’s most successful publications, made its debut. This 9 x 12
inch weekly was published by Benjamin Rivers in his Winnisimmet
Street printing establishment. Three years later it was enlarged and
published twice a week. In 1857 the name was changed to the
“Telegraph and Pioneer” when it was united with the
“Chelsea Telegraph.”
  W.E.P. Haskell, the new editor and publisher, sold it a few
years later to Henry Mason, an experienced writer and printer who had
previously published the “American Cabinet” a Boston
literary publication. He immediately moved his quarters to 47
Winnisimmet Street. The first of four pages was devoted to literary
items, poetry, and items dealing with places and events of historical
interest. News stories were confined to page two along with the death
notices, church meeting and announcements and some advertisements. An
important feature was a list of all uncalled for letters at the local
post office. All pieces of mail so advertised were subject to an
extra charge of one cent. In 1861 Mason moved the newspaper to 132
Winnisimmet Street where he remained for 35 years. At the conclusion
of the Civil War he was joined by his elder son, who assumed control
following his fathers death in February of 1874. He managed the paper
until his death in June of 1895.
  The newspaper then passed into the hands of Julia C. Mason,
Henry’s daughter. Herbert F. Jenkins of the Boston Herald, was
engaged to manage the paper, changing its form, setting aside the
blanket sheet and replacing it with an eight page sheet that first
appeared on January 9, 1897. Shortly thereafter the newspaper was
moved to18 Fourth Street. In 1898 A, S, Arthur became the editor and
remained with the paper until its demise.

THE CHELSEA GAZETTE

  The “Chelsea Gazete” was established by former mayor
Arthur B. Champlin and his father Henry L. Champlin. The first issue
was published on April 3, 1886. It grew rapidily and became the
leading city newspaper. It was published in the old Baptist Church
building at the corner of Broadway and Third Street. Republican in
its political partisanship and always popular under its founders, it
later suffered when Arthur neglected it in favor of an active
political career and other more lucrative business interests.
  It was purchased in July 13, 1896 by George J. and William
Alcott and John L Wright. They quickly restored the paper to its
former popularity by changing the makeup, putting a new dress of
type, publishing illustrations of local persons and scenes, and
crusading for numerous civil and municipal reforms.
  Two years later George J. Alcott withdrew. Later, in the fall
of 1898, William Alcott retired and Oscar L. Stevens became one of
its owners. Wright changed its politics from Republican to independent.
  In the summer of 1906, John E. Beck, 25th mayor of Chelsea,
purchased the paper. Althought the plant was completely destroyed in
the fire of 1908, new quarters were found and the newspaper remained
in business. On Saturday August 30, 1941 the newspaper ceased
publication. Editor and publisher, John E. Beck retired from the
newspaper business. Beck retired with failing eyesight after 35 years
of publishing the Gazette. All assets of the newspaper were purchased
by The Chelsea Record.

MYSTIC PRESS

  The Hovey brothers began the “Mystic Press” in 1869,
but they gave it up after two years.

LITTLE GIANT

  In 1874 a surrilious paper emerged known as the “Little
Giant.” It flourished for only a short period.

FREE LANCE

  During the 1890’s the “Free Lance” which was a
syndicated humorous sheet began and was issued for several years.

THE LEADER

  In the early 1880’s the actively Democratic partisan
“Leader” appeared for several years.

CHELSEA PUBLIC

  In April, 1872, Gilman and Bassett began publishing the
“Chelsea Public.” The former withdrew and in 1874
publication was temporarily suspended but later resumed under the
name “Chelsea News.”

THE CATHOLIC CITIZEN

  The “Catholic Citizen” began publication on
September 5, 1888. This newspaper lasted until the death of its
publisher and editor, Thomas F. Punch in 1937. Throughout its
lifetime it remained a vital factor in the life of the city. When the
fire of 1908 destroyed the printing plant, its determined editor and
his son Thomas F., Jr., found new quarters.

THE CHELSEA RECORD

  The Chelsea Record began publication on December 17, 1890 in
the old Knights of Columbus building at 220 Broadway. It was started
by William H. Franklin, an ambitious newspaper employee. It was first
printed in the Malden plant of Henry C. Gray where other nearby
community newspapers were also published. In 1894 Franklin leased a
wooden building at 18 Fourth Street and made the Record the first
Chelsea newspaper to be printed on an electrically operated press.
Publication was discontinued soon afterward until the paper was
purchased by J. Waldo Denny. After one year of difficult operation it
was returned to Gray’s estate and operations continued under the
supervision of Henry’s daughter, Isabelle. The paper, successful for
some time, was then sold to Fred A. Kehew of Salem, who ran it with
varying success until it was purchased by Samuel H. Robie in July of
1898. When its plant and equipment were wiped out during the fire of
1908 temporary quarters were supplied by the “Revere
Journal” and publication continued without interruption. A brick
structure was soon erected at 18 Fourth Street with the Record
occupying the first floor. A new plant was installed in January of
1909 and the building purchased by the newspaper 15 years later. An
addition was added in 1934. On the death of Mr. Robie in 1934, the
newspaper was continued by his widow and Herbert D. Hancock, former
advertising manager and city editor. When Mrs. Robie died in 1948,
Hancock served as general manager.

CHELSEA LEADER

  The “Chelsea Leader” existed for a short time. It
ceased publication in April 1941.

CHELSEA TRANSCRIPT

  The “Chelsea Transcript” was started by Mayor Andrew
P. Quigley in 1954. It lasted only about one year.