“Creating wonderful memories we can never erase from
our minds.” In 1860, a four-story brick school building was
constructed on Walnut Street near Fourth Street and backing to Poplar
Street. Originally called the Walnut Street Boys Grammar School, it
eventually became known as the Williams School due to the fact it was
built on land that was formerly part of the huge farm of Henry Howell
Williams. The school was opened in January 1861, and graduated its
first class in July of that year. Graduations were held regularly
each year following. Reunions were held at irregular times throughout
the following years. About forty years after the first graduation, a
gathering of about two hundred members met and formed the “Old
Williams School Boys Association” and voted to hold a reunion
and banquet annually. The last year of scholar membership eligibility
was held in 1908, when the building was completely destroyed in the
great Chelsea Fire. William S. Henry, President and Association
historian stated; “with one exception nothing remained of the
old school but the happy days spent within its walls.” The one
exception was the ‘fern leaf brick’ and how the story was in the
heart of every ‘Old Williams Schoolboy’.
The story of the ‘fern leaf brick’ as related by Mr. Henry
began about 1860 when a spray of fern fell into the bottom of a brick
maker’s mold. It became imbedded in the soft clay in the mold
preparation for the baking kiln. In the firing process the fern was
consumed but its lasting impression was already imbedded into the new
brick. When finished the ‘fern leaf brick’ was bundled with other
finished bricks and consigned to its destiny. That destiny was to
become a part in the construction of a new hall of learning, the
Williams School. During the construction the fern leaf brick was
placed in the wall on the Walnut Street side close to the corner of
Fourth Street. The brick was placed about twelve feet from the ground
and equal distance from the corner of the building. The leaf
formation in the molding of the brick and the emplacement in the wall
may have been accidental or coincidental but it was discovered by an
alert and observant student soon after the school was opened. After
its initial discovery it became a tradition that no boy was
considered a fully initiated Williams School boy until he had climbed
on the shoulders of an older boy, reached up and touched the fern
leaf brick.
On April 12, 1908, nearly half of the city was destroyed by
a catastrophic fire. The beloved Williams School was completely
destroyed. This was a very disturbing blow. Skeletal walls rising out
of a pile of still smoking blackened rubble was all that was left of
this once magnificent four-story brick building. For the members of
the Old Williams School Association the loss of the brick was equally
disturbing. On Thursday evening January 14, nine months after the
fire, the Williams School Boys gathered for their eighth annual
reunion and banquet at the Quincy House in Boston. It was an evening
of merriment, speeches, stories and song. It was a time when great
warmth was displayed while discussing old times and renewing old
friendships. Among those present were: Charles Burleigh, President;
J. Lewis Carr, Treasurer; Chief Henry Spencer and Charles Pierce of
the Fire Department; William McClintock, Alton Briggs and Mark
Wilmarth of the Chelsea Board of Control; ex-Mayors Eugene Endicott
and John E. Beck; Abbott Bassett a member of the first graduating
class and so many more it would take a couple of pages to list. After
the banquet President Burleigh called the gathering together. The
Association business was tended to followed by the speakers of the
evening. Before the speaking end of the program could begin James W.
Leslie arose and asked permission to address the gathering about the
Fern Leaf Brick, thought to be lost forever. Knowing the exact
location of the fern leaf brick in the old school building wall, Mr.
Leslie surmised that by chance that section of the wall could still
be standing. Climbing among the still smoking ruins James Leslie did
find that section of the wall with the fern leaf brick was still
standing. The wall had fallen to within a few layers above the brick.
Help was needed. Leslie went to Mayor Beck’s office and presented him
with the story of the brick and reasons for its preservation. Mr.
Beck instructed Mr. Walter Batchelder, the building inspector, to
assist Leslie in any way possible to safely remove the Old Leaf
Brick. Men were dispatched to the job and within three hours the
brick was cut out of the wall without any damage.
James Leslie then presented the brick saying: “Mr.
President and fellow schoolmates, I present this token representing
the Old Williams School, that it may be placed within the walls of
the new Williams School now in course of construction where it may be
preserved for all time.” A new and larger Williams School was
built in three sections on the opposite side of Walnut Street. The
first and main building was completed in the fall of 1909 with the
Fern Leaf Brick emplaced in the wall of the main entrance.
As time passed the members of the association passed with it
and so did the story of the Fern Leaf Brick. In the years of 1996 and
1997 the Williams School was completely remodeled and converted to a
middle school. Its walls were torn down and carted away, along with
memories reverting back to 1908.