The Pratt Family

PRATTS OF PRATTVILLE

  Throughout the annals of Chelsea history the Pratts have
played a prominent part, giving unselfishly in many ways to the
growth and development of the city. Lieutenant Thomas Pratt was,
according to record, the first of the Pratts to take up residence in
Chelsea. In 1695, Thomas Pratt purchased the Aaron Way and William
Ireland farm in what is Prattville today. Two homes existed on this
farm, built sometime during the occupancy of Way and Ireland which
dated from 1652. Lieutenant Pratt moved into the Way house, which
today is at the end of Harvard Street bordering Fremont Avenue.
Lieutenant Pratt enlarged the house that became known as the
“Mansion House”. Lieutenant Pratt was prominent in the
building of the first church in Chelsea{Revere}. The oldest son,
Captain Thomas Pratt, moved into the Ireland house with his wife,
living there until after his father died at which time he moved into
the Mansion House. Captain Pratt built the first tide water mill, and
was very active in town politics serving as Selectman for twelve
years, as well as Representative to the General Court. It was Captain
Thomas Pratt who played host to General George Washington during his
visits to Chelsea.

Daniel Pratt the eldest son of Captain Thomas Pratt moved into the
“old house” that set back 90 feet from the Country Road
{Washington Avenue}. It was here that Increase Mather took refuge
from the persecution of Governor Andros. Entering the house the room
was large and high with a large fireplace. The floor was wide with
floor boards with handmade nails holding the floor boards in place.
The kitchen was built low to conserve heat in the winter. There was a
small room off the kitchen where it was told, Jack Langdon , one of
the last slaves in Massachusetts, slept and died. This building known
as the “Old Pratt House” was torn down around 1960.

Caleb Pratt 4th was born in the Mansion House in 1804. Leaving
home at age fifteen , he learned the trade of a master builder and
carpenter, becoming very successful. Caleb Pratt returned to Chelsea
and built a home on Franklin Street with a long ell and a cupola. The
area was undeveloped. The house was reached by a lane, Warren Street
{Nichols Street today}that turned up Franklin Street to a big red gate.

Caleb Pratt demolished the Mansion House in 1855 saving many parts
of the house. To make room for Hermon to build a home, the ell was
removed from Caleb’s house and the house was turned to face Nichols
Street. Hermon built his home on the site of the former Caleb house
using the Mansion House parts. About 1950s the Hermon Pratt home was
purchased by the Our Lady of Grace Church and converted into a
convent for the Sisters of St. Joseph teaching at the school. A few
years later the Murdock home next door was acquired and demolished
and the convent was expanded. Today a wonderful group of Nuns are
running the Don Guanella home for special woman.

Hermon Pratt was Councilman, Alderman, and twenty-first Mayor of
Chelsea. Hermon Pratt was instrumental in the building of Washington
Park, the laying out of Garfield and Sagamore Avenue, laid the
cornerstone for the new Prattville School, widened Washington Avenue
from Cary Square to the railroad bridge to make room for double set
of street car tracks. Hermon also beautified Chelsea Square, laying
out the two parks, had the city buy Powderhorn Hill to establish a
park, also designating Carter and Highland parks, and he denied the
street railway permission to lay tracks on Nichols Street to Everett.
Hermon Pratt had to retire from politics and re-election due to
declining health.

Caleb Pratt 3rd sold a part of his farm in 1815, to Daniel and
Thankful Atkins. Caleb’s son, Caleb 4th married Pomona the daughter
of Daniel and Thankful Atkins. The farm was later purchased for the
Woodlawn Cemetary.

Hermon Pratt’s father -in -law’s estate was purchased for the
Whidden Hospital. Ironically Hermon died in the Whidden Hospital 1918.

Return to Main Page