Washington Park, one of the most beautiful places in
Chelsea, has a background and history that identifies with its
Prattville environs.
In 1637, Sir Henry Vane, as Governor of Massachusetts Bay
Colony was allocated a grant of two hundred acres of land in what is
now Prattville. Sir Henry, while Governor, got in conflict with the
church in trying to separate religion from civil authority, and as a
result was not reelected Governor. He in turn disposed of his land
holdings, here, and returned to England, where he served in
Parliament, eventually losing his head in the Tower of London. This
area became one huge farm, passing through the hands of three
different owners. Until in 1695, Lt. Thomas Pratt purchased what
became known as the Way-Ireland farm, so named after its owners,
Aaron Way and William Ireland, thus beginning the prominence of the
Pratt family, in Chelsea, whose unselfish civic and social
contributions greatly benefited the growth and development of the
city.
During the siege of Boston, during the Revolutionary War, General
George Washington had the left wing of his army stationed in the area
of the Park, southward as far as County Road and eastward around
Powderhorn Hill. Colonel Gerrish, regimental commander, had his
barracks directly opposite the Park. During this period, Gen.,
Washington visited here to inspect his troops, stationed in this
area, and as a guest at the Pratt mansion, that was diagonally across
from the old Prattville School.
Just before the turn of the eighteenth century, a poorhouse with a
farmhouse and barn, was established on Eustis and Warren, (now
Nichols) Streets, What is now Washington Park, was fenced in and
farmed, to help feed the inmates. The poorfarm was phased out during
the 1850’s.
Chelsea became a city in 1857 and Caleb Pratt was elected to the
first Chelsea City Council. One of Pratt’s main proposal’s, was to
have the city create the area between Washington Ave. and Franklin
St. and Hancock St. and Warren (Nichols) St., as a public park. His
efforts failed due to heavy opposition from the Southern section of
the city. Meanwhile, the area was beginning to be used as a dumping
grounds even the white picket fence surrounding it was being
destroyed. It became an eyesore to the neighborhood. Caleb Pratt
attempted for a second time, in 1873, to have a park created, but
again he met with failure. Finally, in 1885, Caleb’s son, Hermon was
elected to the Common Council. He made the proposal, for the third
time, to have the park created, this time, he succeeded. He
immediately received an act from the State Legislature to establish a
park and presented it to the city. The city set the land out for the
purpose of a park, but no funds were appropriated. The city had a
heavy debt at the time, so no funds were available to landscape. Mr.
Pratt personally went about soliciting subscriptions to collect $2500
that was necessary for the project. Contributions were very slow
coming in. It was very discouraging to Mr. Pratt and many times he
felt like throwing everything aside, but he became determined to see
it through.
Bevis Tucker, the contractor, who built the “Octagon
House” on Revere Beach Parkway, was given the contract to build
the wall around the park. His instructions were to build only as far
as the money received, would go. The surveying and laying out of the
park was done under the supervision of the City Engineer William E. McClintock.
Work began in the Fall of 1885, thirty feet of wall was built
scarcely making it with the money collected. When this section of the
finished wall was seen by the people, the money began to roll in.
Work was halted for the Winter, and began again in the Spring. Work
continued until the Fall of 1886 when both ends of the wall met, and
the work was completed. Tons of ledge stone was used. The wall is
three and one half feet above ground, two and one half feet below
ground, setting on a two foot bed of crushed stone and is eighteen
inches thick.
That Fall Mr. Pratt began a subscription drive for trees and vines.
This drive proved to be popular, and over 250 trees were obtained
along with 200 vines, which were planted along the walls. All the
trees and vines were planted in the Spring of 1887.
The park was dedicated July 4, 1887 as Washington Park, amid the
noise of an elaborate fire works display an a twenty two piece band.
On the Nichols Street side of the wall is a stone that was once the
doorstep of the Pratt Mansion where George Washington visited during
the siege of Boston. The stone was set in the wall in 1889.
Today, the trees have been greatly thinned out due to elements of
the weather, age and vandalism, and the vines are gone, but the
beauty and serenity of this haven in the city remains.